Sunday, October 16, 2011

Beautiful Macabre, a review of Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 9:52 AM

Throw away everything you thought you knew about angels.

There is nothing stereotypical about Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

From the moment I'd read the write-up on this novel, I began stalking its release, aching every time someone reviewed an advance reader copy, and knowing I'd have to wait until the official date to get my hands on it.

I understand the hype.

Laini Taylor has created a world that is both macabre and beautiful. Her characters are wonderful, and real - and I am head over heels in love with Akiva. I don't tend to fall for the pretty boys, but Laini has written this character with such 3-dimensional perfection, I'd challenge any female not to fall under his spell.

And I want to be Karou - not just so I can wrap myself in Akiva's winged embrace, but because she is strong, and passionate, and has guts. She is an amazing heroine.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the kind of book you need time to digest. The writing is beautiful and flows as though the words simply roll off the end of the author's pen. As a writer, I tend to read with a critical eye, picking out the examples of over-writing, or misused metaphors. If Laini is guilty of any craft faux pas, I was too wrapped up in the story to care. If only I could write with such beauty...

I hesitate to say anything about the plot for fear of giving away the story - and truthfully, you should just read the book. So I will leave you with the powerful words from the opening page:

Once upon a time,
an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well. 

- Dawn

PS - Just 15 sleeps until Halloween...and the ebook release of SPIRITED. Following the Ghosthunters clues? Round three starts today.

2 comments:

Karou is an amazing heroine -- I loved her heart and her strength! Such an interesting book...wish I could write like that. :)

Laini Taylor has fast-tracked her way to the top of my favorite authors list with this book, that's for sure!

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site