Saturday, October 1, 2011

Halloween lanterns

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 5:49 AM


Me and husband have become auction junkies since moving out to the country. We're not able to afford the big ticket antique furniture - though it's broken my heart to pass some of it by - but I have a fondness for old jars and tins. My "country pantry" is filled with jars that store flour, sugar, chocolate chips, and everything inbetween.

So when I'd exhausted every storage possibility (crackers, I guess, aren't the best thing to store in mason jars), I started looking for other ways to use them. Turns out there's a million.

I found this idea on my new favorite website, Pinterest.

They're easy!

Supplies:

  • mason jars
  • tissue paper or acrylic paint
  • black construction paper (optional)
  • mod podge (it's a type of glue found at the craft store)
  • tealights

Directions:


1. Use mod podge to paste pieces of tissue paper to the outside of the mason jars. Don't worry if it looks see-through or uneven. When lit up, they are beautiful with imperfection. If tissue paper isn't your thing, you can paint the jars with a thin layer of acrylic paint.
2. Use black paint, a sharpie marker, or pieces of construction paper to create face pieces. Attach.
3. Put a tea light in the jar and light. Voila - a Halloween lantern!

Don't be afraid to get creative. I've used green ribbon wrapped around the top, or steered away from mason jars and painted old milk jars white for a unique ghost appearance.

29 sleeps to Halloween. *mwhahahaha*

- Dawn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site