Sunday, December 4, 2011

Do you believe?

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 5:22 PM



WIN an epic book prize that includes a copy of Spirited, and debut novels by three of the most talented writers I know - Jessica Bell,  Judith Gravesand Donna Milward.  PLUS, Judith is throwing in a copy of her beautiful CD. Merry Christmas, indeed!

Follow this blog and comment on each post throughout my holiday countdown. The more times you comment, the greater your chances are to win. The winner will be announced Boxing Day - another gift just when you thought it was all over.

                                                                             *   *   *

I'm fortunate to have a husband who not only supports my quirky craft/DIY habit, but is also willing to help figure out how to make my projects better - and pitch in when the muse inspires him. I can honestly say, I could not have done this one without him. (Well, maybe, but it wouldn't look half as good!)

I first saw this idea on Pinterest, though the letters were painted red and white. I made one just like that for my friend Stephanie at work (and admittedly needed my hubby to cut the wood and draw out the letters...). I fell in love with the way it looked and knew I needed to have the same decor for my bedroom dresser.

My husband suggested the stain.

Of course, your letters can say anything you want - Noel, Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, Joy...but Believe fits just perfectly in this home.

Here's what you need:

  • Blocks of 2x6 cut into different lengths - mine are between 5 and 11 inches, but you can vary yours.
  • Stain or paint
  • An exacto knife
  • Printed letters - I created mine in Word and then printed them off
  • Masking tape
  • An old rag (if using stain)
  • Piant brushes

Here's what you do:

Apply masking tape to your wood blocks.
Carefully trace the letter onto the tape. Don't press too hard
and use a sharp knife. 
Lightly brush stain onto the wood, careful to push from the tape
out to avoid seepage. (Some will occur)
When finished, rub gently with rag to remove excess.
Stain the top and sides of the wood. Let dry. Peel tape away.

I love how this natural wood picks up the stain and fits right in with the snowman on my dresser. Add some fake garland and twinkling lights to spruce things up.

If you're lucky enough to have a fireplace with a mantel, this would look beautiful - in any color to match your holiday decor.

Have fun!

- Dawn

P.S. Only 21 sleeps until Santa slides down my non-existant chimney <3


0 comments:

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site