Monday, December 5, 2011

Ginger snaps in a snap

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 6:50 PM

WIN an epic book prize that includes a copy of Spirited, and debut novels by three of the most talented writers I know - Jessica Bell,  Judith Gravesand Donna Milward.  PLUS, Judith is throwing in a copy of her beautiful CD. Merry Christmas, indeed!

Follow this blog and comment on each post throughout my holiday countdown. The more times you comment, the greater your chances are to win. The winner will be announced Boxing Day - another gift just when you thought it was all over.

                                       *   *   *


I am not a baker.


In fact, my husband (a construction worker) makes better cookies than me. 


Growing up, my Nona (Grandma in Italian) made the Christmas cookies. Delicious treats I cannot pronounce or spell, and always in hot demand. Her baking skill wasn't passed down to me and I don't have a book (or weathered collection) of her recipes. I am a bad Italian granddaughter. (She would agree.)


Yet, every once in a while, generally in correspondence with a full moon, I go into a baking frenzy. Last night I made chocolate chip craisin cookies. My family put in a request for another batch and I'd pulled out the ingredients, until I remembered a tweet from SupermanDuffy today: 


"The weather outside is frightful…so tonight I’m baking cookies with Mom. They’re easy! Check out these ginger snaps: http://www.canolainfo.org/recipes/recipes.php?detail=521


Decision made.


To make snaps instead of the gingerbread men shown in the picture, roll the dough into balls, place on the pan, and gently flatten with a fork. 


Yesterday, my husband ate almost the entire batch of cookies in one sitting. I didn't think - with my limited skills - I'd be able to beat that. I was wrong. Luckily I saved enough for the picture!


Hmmm...maybe I should have written down my Nona's recipes and given them a try.


Happy baking!


- Dawn


PS - 20 sleeps until Santa slides down my non-existant chimney. <3

1 comments:

Now Dawn, don't sell yourself short!! I've had your baking!! It's amazing!! Shall I remind you of the chocolate marshmallow cookies?!?!? *wipes drool off chin*

I made some ginger snap cookies tonight...good but not VERY good...so I'm going to try Chase's recipe tomorrow. :)

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site