Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 5:00 AM

I'm one of more than a thousand bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays (though today is an exception since April starts on a Sunday). You don't need a theme...but I've got one.


It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll be blogging about a young adult book I have read - and loved. Starting with Kelley Armstrong's AWAKENING.


I have Karen to thank for introducing me to this amazing author. I first fell in love with Kelley after reading Bitten - a book that forever changed how I view werewolf romance. Just in the nick of time, I guess, since werewolves are enjoying a lot of love as of late - including in the awesome SKINNED series by the amazing Judith Graves.


The Awakening isn't about werewolves, but it does have a supernatural feel - just as most of the books on my A-Z list will likely have. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for paranorms.


The problem with series novels is that it's hard to talk about the second or third book without giving away spoilers. The Awakening is the follow-up to The Summoning, which ranks as one of the best YA books I've ever read.


The official Awakening blurb: If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

Stellar character development, edge-of-your-seat action, and absolutely some of the best YA paranormal fiction on the market. If you've never read a Kelley Armstrong book before, consider me your "Karen" - you can thank me later.

Got a different "A" book you want to rave about? Tell me about it in the comments section. At the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties. Trust me, those posts could save your life.

- Dawn

13 comments:

I'm doing the A to Z challenge, too! Just not on The Book Swarm, on my writing blog (www.marybrebner.com).

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite urban fantasy authors and I really enjoyed this series!

Great review! Although I'm not taking part in the A-to-Z, I'm still enjoying the blogs flying through my Google reader...including yours! :)

Thanks for the review...great to discover books this way!

---Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

MARY - I'm heading over to check out your writing blog!

Thanks, JACK - I appreciate the follow even though you're not doing the challenge :-) I think I might be nuts doing it for three blogs :-/

Thanks for stopping by, DAMYANTI. Going to check out your post, now...

I enjoyed this book. Great choice for A. I'm a new follower from A-Z.

Wow, sounds like one heck of a thrill-ride. :-)

Nice review. I love discovering new books. I hadn't heard of this one.

Sounds good! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Thanks, CLARA. Kelley is pretty amazing!

That it is, MISHA.

SUSAN, definitely on my highly recommended list for YA.

Thanks for the follow SYLVIA :-)

Greetings, fellow challenger!
Great idea to theme it with books you love. I think I might do a series like that one day as well. LOVE it.
Looking forward to seeing what else you've loved over the coming month.

Great review and good luck with the a to z. Nice theme as well, always nice to give shoutouts.

I love finding new YA books. Thanks for your theme!

SARAH, I'm on pins and needles waiting to talk about some of my FAVORITE YA books. So many good titles out now! Thanks for stopping by. Good luck on the challenge.

Thanks, PAT. I knew the only way to stay on track was with a theme.

You're more than welcome, LAURA. Nothing I love more than talking about great books.

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site