Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 4:00 AM


I'm one of more than a thousand bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays (though today is an exception since April starts on a Sunday). You don't need a theme...but I've got one.
It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll blog about a young adult book I have read - and loved (or at least really liked). 


My "B" book falls into the second category. Though not the best book in the Twilight series, I can appreciate its allure - especially the part where Edward finally loses his control. Frigid, much?


I can't say the series was extraordinarily written, but the writer in me can't help but be envious of not only Stephanie Meyer's success, but also the chemistry she created on the page between Bella and Edward. Oh sure, it's not overly realistic, and on screen, it comes off a little cheesy (and maybe creepy), but I can still recite some of Edward's smooth pick-up lines - and I read the books back when the craze first hit (Admittedly, sometimes that feels like just last week.)


I'm mostly over the whole Twilight thing now, but I do credit the author for reminding me of how much I love vampires. Not the sparkly kind, but the beasties that more look like, oh, Damon Salvatore for instance.




Yum!

Different "B" book you loved? Tell me about it in the comments section. At the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

8 comments:

My eldest stayed up all night finishing the fourth one, but now you can't even mention them to here with getting an eye-roll. I guess it was just a fad for her.

I guess I really should read these. My daughter loves them! Thanks for dropping by mine.

Totally agree. I loved them and probably my last child was conceived because of them, but they aren't the best writing. They are entertaining because they give a good fantasy. They are a good story.

MATT - totally a fad in this house, too. :-)

SIMON - read Twilight first, then decide!

LAURA - I love "my last child was conceived because of them". Agree - great story.

I haven't read vampire books for a long time, but did read some of Anne Rice's books back in the 90's. Your blog is very striking and cool.

Have fun with A-Z,

Kathy M.

Thanks so much, KATHY. I was - and still am - a tremendous fan of Anne Rice's vampire books!

I agree it wasn't the best of her books, got a little weird and translates to cheezy on screen, but there were definitely some great parts! I loved the chapters written from Jacob's perspective.

My favorite B books are Bridge to Terabithia and The Blue Sword. Older YA books, but definite classics.

I've just seen the part 1 film and thought they did a pretty good job translating this one that I'm not sure they always succeeded with with the others.

Love that you are a Damon Salvatore fan too. Mmmm.

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site