Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 3:00 AM


I'm one of more than a thousand bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays. You don't need a theme...but I've got one.

It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll blogabout a  young adult book I have read - and loved (or at least really liked). 

Kelly Creagh's Nevermore fits in the latter category.

There's an awful lot of books I want to read, so sometimes, when I'm not grabbed by the first few chapters (or even first page), I move on. I'm glad I stuck it out for this novel, though, since the story didn't have me at hello...though, the writing certainly did.

Nevermore starts off like your basic paranormal - jocks, cheerleaders, star-crossed lovers, etc. But beneath its garden-variety surface is a dark book that pays tribute to Edgar Allan Poe. I'm a huge Poe fan, so this played to my fangirl sensibilities - and likely the reason I muddled through the somewhat cliched beginning.

However, by the end, I concur, Kelly Creagh's writing - and story - hold up on their own.

I had a tough time finding an "N" book - what did I miss? Tell me in the comments section and at the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

4 comments:

Thanks for the recommendation, Dawn! Sounds awesome!

I recently started reading YA after years of not. Harry Potter got me back into it. And now my kids are starting to read YA so we read some books together.

Thanks, Jack.

Stephen - I never thought I would write YA, but when I started reading some of the books on the market, I couldn't help but be inspired. And now, I have a teen stepdaughter. She isn't a super big reader, but we're working on that. I like to read with her, and for sure, I like to read what she's reading BEFORE she does.

Your theme is such a good one. I've enjoyed visiting your blog!

If you've the time, pop by mine. I'm the author of the Bella and Britt series for kids.

Thanks for sharing the book list!

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site