Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Twilight by Stephenie Myer

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 3:00 AM


I'm one of more than 1500 bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays. You don't need a theme...but I've got one.

It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll blog about a  young adult book I have read - and loved (or at least really liked). 

I make a lot of fun of Twilight. But the truth is, when I finally jumped on the Edward and Bella bandwagon at least a year after the craze had begun, I read all four books in two days.

That said, I recognize the whole series, Twilight included, isn't an example of exemplar writing craft. Even the story is cliched when you drill right down to the bare bones.

And yet, I could not stop reading it.

Perhaps there was a little writer envy - that seemingly overnight success, the ability to transform reading habits of young girls, and truthfully, the impressive skill in creating chemistry between the two main characters. Whatever you say about the series overall, it's hard to deny, author Stephenie Myer understands a thing or two about teen romance. And sparkles or not, Edward was quite the charmer.

But yeah, kind of creepy.

Though not a series I'd read again and again, I can appreciate Twilight's charm.

How about you? I KNOW you've got a better "T" title for me. Let me know in the comments below and at the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn


2 comments:

That's my struggle with this series, too. For some reason, I breezed through all the books. I have to chalk it up to some connection I made on the onset with Bella. Maybe my teen self related to her more than I knew--minus the sparkles.

I loved the books and could not put them down - what more can you ask from a book (or series of books). I know we can all criticize and complain about her writing, but they were unput-downable! I can only wish to achieve that ellusive quality with my writing.

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site