Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for The Giver by Lois Lowry

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 5:00 AM


I'm one of more than a thousand bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays. You don't need a theme...but I've got one.

It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll be blogging about a young adult book I have read - and loved (or at least really liked). 

The Giver is an award-winning YA novel - with good reason. I loved it as a kid, but also as much when I re-read it just a few years ago.

If you haven't read it, here's the official blurb: 

In a desensitized, painless world, a boy turning the milestone age of 12 is reluctantly chosen as the next Receiver, a job that involves absorbing prior memories of the society from the historian known as the Giver.

So great! Often studied in elementary school, The Giver is a classic - and perhaps one of the first books about a dystopian future. 


Did you know there's also a movie in the works? Now that's something to get excited about. 

Did I miss the mark on this "G" title? Tell me which novel you'd have chosen in the comments section. At the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

6 comments:

I've never heard of this (after my "time" I suppose). Sounds intriguing. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Dawn, the Giver is indeed fabulous. I read it aloud to my students. The ending freaked them out but they loved it. Lowry is greatness!!! Number the stars and the messenger are also wonderful.

I love your theme for the challenge! I read The Giver in elementary school, I think I was about 12. I remember not enjoying it, but so many people rave about it, I'm thinking I should re-read it now as an adult. I think maybe I just didn't quite understand it at the time. Great post!

Every time someone mentions this book, I am again ashamed that I've never read it. Where is my Kindle? This might be the rest of my weekend! And thas for the reminder...

Hi, I'll have to check it out. The title sounds familiar. thanks. I am blog hopping right now. Best regards to you. Ruby

I agree. The Giver is one of my favorites.

Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge. Hope you'll visit back.

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site