Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for Juliet Immortal

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 3:00 AM


I'm one of more than a thousand bloggers taking part in the A-Z Blogging challenge this year. The goal is to blog everyday in April - except Sundays. You don't need a theme...but I've got one.

It's called watchYAreading. Each day, I'll blogabout a  young adult book I have read - and loved (or at least really liked). 

So...what if the greatest love story ever told is a lie?


Uh, hello. Romance. Lies. I'm in!


Juliet Immortal is one of my favorite YA books. Ever. While I may not have liked every Shakespearean play, I have always loved Romeo and Juliet, in all forms. Especially the movie featuring Leonardo DiCaprio.


But no adaptation has ever been as clever as author Stacey Jay's.


In this fascinating and wonderfully crafted tale, Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo, a sacrifice to ensure his own mortality. When Romeo and Juliet meet again, they are not true lovers, but true enemies instead.


Ah! The writer in me is writhing in envy. But me as reader? Absolutely blown away. Read this book. Seriously. You may never look at Shakespeare's version the same way again. But you'll probably be okay with that.

Read Juliet Immortal? What's your take? Or got an idea for an equally compelling "J" book title? Tell me in the comments section. At the end of the month I'll choose three readers to win a copy of SPIRITED, an anthology of haunting YA fiction.

Now, go check out the rest of the blogs in the A-Z Challenge, including my Dawn Ius site where I blog about songs and artists who have inspired me, and at the Most-Wanted Monsters blog where the awesome Judith Graves and I are waxing poetic about 26 creeptastic beasties.

- Dawn

4 comments:

Hi there. Nice theme. Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

Intriging twist on it!

And way to go for having three blogs in the Challenge - my mind boggles at the thought!

Ah, I remember reading about this book - glad to hear it's as good as it sounded. WIll definitely add it to my list - I'm a rabid YA reader too. Visting A-Z blogger and new follower.

Thanks ARMCHAIR SQUID.

NICK, my mind boggles at the thought, too. LOL

MARGO - Thanks for the follow. Going to check out your blog to see what YA books we have in common :-)

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site