Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 9:00 AM


Last year, I attempted the A to Z Blogging Challenge with young adult books starting with the appropriate letter of the alphabet. I was going to follow that same theme, but I knew so many of them would be the same and this year, I've been trying my hand at script writing - with fairly good success. So, I decided to base this year's theme on either movies I loved as a kid - or movies made for kids. Join me on a Hollywood adventure?

*    *   *

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything starring Johnny Depp, but I *may* have squealed with delight when director Tim Burton cast Johnny as Willy Wonka in the 2005 reboot of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is my favorite Roald Dahl book, and perhaps one of my favorite movies ever. For me, Tim Burton really brought to life some of the key magical moments in Dahl's prose - a chocolate factory filled with candy concoctions like bubble gum that never loses its flavor. Sugar flowers, fudge rivers, and oh those crazy Oompa Loompas. Seriously, it's my dream world! And on a scale of "Oh, I wish I'd written that" it's a solid 10. Both the book AND the script.

Although Willy Wonka is ultimately my favorite character - in the novel and movie - I've always been drawn to Veruca Salt. What an amazing example of character development, the importance of a name, and the potential for leaving an impression. 

No doubt about it, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is absolutely my "C" movie. How about yours?

- Dawn

5 comments:

This is a great movie, I love to watch it now with my kids

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (and its sequel) were fantastic books. There are pluses and minuses to both movie adaptions of the former. I still like the chocolate room sequence in the Willy Wonka version with Gene Wilder...pure imagination indeed.

Quite enjoyed it! Nice blog!!!

Ohh I love this movie.. Thanks for this post :)
Bhavya from the AtoZ Challenge blogging at Just Another Blog

I love Johnny depp, but I think I am a Gene Wilder Willy at heart. Johnny's was just a touch to creepy for my taste. Plus, I'm a sucker for musicals:)


http://intoabarrel.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site