Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for The Karate Kid

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 6:30 AM


Last year, I attempted the A to Z Blogging Challenge with young adult books starting with the appropriate letter of the alphabet. I was going to follow that same theme, but I knew so many of them would be the same and this year, I've been trying my hand at script writing - with fairly good success. So, I decided to base this year's theme on either movies I loved as a kid - or movies made for kids. Join me on a Hollywood adventure?

*    *   *

Sometime last year, I stood on one leg and mimicked the flamingo kick from The Karate Kid (1984). My stepdaughter looked at me as though I was losing my mind, along with my balance. She had NO clue of the importance of that move, and she can't sing Cruel Summer with me, either.

Are those not staples of every youth's pop culture now?

* sigh *

Sure little Ralph was kind of dorky, but there are some great life lessons in this flick. Like, "Sweep the leg!" - illustrating the importance of fair competition. <wink> And "yeah, put him in a body bag." Also a demonstration of great competitive spirit.

Joking aside, The Karate Kid was a great movie with memorable and quotable moments. Sometimes, I still try and catch a fly with chopsticks. And when my stepdaughter isn't looking, I stand on a chair, lift one leg, and try not to fall off.

Great movie. Great soundtrack.

Can you think of a better K?

- Dawn

P.S. - I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the 2011 version of this movie. Not a bad reboot at all.

2 comments:

Wonderful movie! I enjoy watching it every couple of years. Wow did I have a crush on Elisabeth Shue. :-)

I always loved the Karate Kid too! Keep up the good work on A to Z! I've gotten one day behind, need to catch up tonight!

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site