Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for The Nightmare on Elm Street

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 6:00 AM


Last year, I attempted the A to Z Blogging Challenge with young adult books starting with the appropriate letter of the alphabet. I was going to follow that same theme, but I knew so many of them would be the same and this year, I've been trying my hand at script writing - with fairly good success. So, I decided to base this year's theme on either movies I loved as a kid - or movies made for kids. Join me on a Hollywood adventure?

*    *   *


Okay, I admit, not the best movie choice for youth, but the thing is, I grew up on Nightmare on Elm Street and Freddy Kreuger. This may have actually been the series that turned me on to horror flicks - and in turn, writing thriller novels. Good old Fred had some serious influence back in the day.

I have no idea if these movies USED to scare me, but I know they don't today. Still, I can appreciate their cult classic status - Freddy Kreuger is iconic, and based on the number of Freddy costumes I see every year, still Halloween worthy. (On that note, the only thing creepier than One, Two, Freddy's Coming for You is the theme song for the Halloween series. Now THAT scares the crap out of me.)

Again, not a series I watch every year, or even in the last five years, but as far as movies from my youth go, anything with Freddy Kreuger in it is a sure hit with me.

Got a better "N" movie? Share!

- Dawn

PS - It is only now, two letters later, that I realize I missed noting the BEST "L" movie. Yeah, Lion King was great, but the movie I watched more than that - and perhaps ranks in my Top 10 - is LOST BOYS. Oh Kiefer, I didn't mean to forget you!

4 comments:

I haven't watched this film for years - and you're right, although it's not a kids film, everyone in my class had seen it by the time they were 12!It's very tongue in cheek and Freddy is such a great villain - "No running in the hallway, Nancy!" How are you finding the A-Z so far?

Kelly's Eye - Music, Writing, Life

Great Post! Also, I'm nominating you for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog in a couple of hours for details.

http://talesoftherock.blogspot.com/

This was my post for today too. How can you not love Freddy? :) I was too young to see it when it came out, but once I got into my teens, I started watching these (and many other) horror movies.

We used to watch those movies as teens - they were new then. We were trying to toughen ourselves up, I think. Fun blog! Thanks to Rocky for pointing me here.

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site