Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for Willow

Posted by Dawn Dalton on 12:51 PM


Last year, I attempted the A to Z Blogging Challenge with young adult books starting with the appropriate letter of the alphabet. I was going to follow that same theme, but I knew so many of them would be the same and this year, I've been trying my hand at script writing - with fairly good success. So, I decided to base this year's theme on either movies I loved as a kid - or movies made for kids. Join me on a Hollywood adventure?

*    *   *

Pretty sure my "W" movie choice is going to age me - but I don't care. I loved Willow as a kid, and I still love it today. Directed by Ron Howard, with a story by George Lucas, starring Val Kilmer (whoop) and Warwick Davis. How can you go wrong?

Fantasy isn't my normal genre of choice - or so I thought. More and more, I'm drawn to shows like Game of Thrones, and when I look back at my childhood faves, I really loved Legend, Labyrinth, and of course, The Princess Bride.

In case you've skipped over Willow in the movie store (silly move!), it's basically about a reluctant farmer who plays a critical role in protecting a special baby from a tyrannical Queen. Oh, and there's sword and sorcery. Huzzah!

Thinking about this movie now, I can still hear Warick's adorable voice as he talks about his charge, young Elora Danon. Pretty sure if I ever had a baby girl, I'd name her Elora. <grin>

Have you seen Willow? What other "W" movies are there?

- Dawn

2 comments:

AHHH, one of the early Beach movies in 1960 starring George Hamilton ranks up there for me. "Where the Boys Are."

I think I may have watched that movie or something very similar. I did love Labyrinth and I am addicted to the Game of Thrones :)

Post a Comment

GOT WORDS? I LURVE COMMENTS.

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site